happy birthday to me! I'm a mother of 3!

so tomorrow is my birthday. I have a personal vendetta against "happy birthday" posts on my facebook wall. so I deleted my birthday from facebook last year. anyway. in a couple hours I will be 26. I don't like getting older, like most I am sure. but this has definitely been one of the best years of my life. I became a mom. and a week ago I became a mom of three. I don't know why that sounds and feels so much crazier than a mom of two but it does.
I know you are dying to know about our newest addition to our family. but for my birthday post and my first post as a mother of 3, I wanted to tell you what I love most about each of the kids. especially now that we have and oldest, middle, and youngest child :)

let's start with smalls. our "baby". he is three. he is quite possibly the biggest little jerk I have ever met. when you tell him "hello!" there is a 50% chance he will say "I don't like you." when you ask for a hug, kiss, or a high five, it is quite possible that he will simply reply with "no!" he has no problem telling you exactly how he feels. he also has the biggest, brightest, and prettiest smile on the planet. I love his smile. I also love his innocence. he wants to "shoot his webs" at things he doesn't like daily. his brother tells him his webs aren't real. to which he replies with "yes they are" and he naturally shoots his webs at him. he loves to give me a kiss and then yell, "Aaaaarwen, I got ALL SurahJeans kisses and I not gon share dem!" he asks about his mom often. he never lived with her so his curiosity in her has increased. we have told him she is in "time out". when he is mad he says he wants her and that he is "gonna help her out of time out!" adding the princess to our family hasn't changed things for him much. he still lives in his own world where he is the center of it ;)

next we have biggie. he is now our "middle child". he is four. I daily tell myself I do not have a favorite and that I don't love him more. and I really don't think that I do. but he definitely has a special place in my heart. I don't know if it is because he was the first to call me "Mommy", or because he reminds me so much of my baby brother, or because he is so much like me, or a little bit of all 3. he is the one who acts like he needs me the most. he has the cutest, biggest lips. you can't help but kiss him. he loves to dance and swim. he makes the funniest faces. he hates loud noises. he misses his mom, but he is mostly over her and her nonsense. he is obsessed with his new "sister". he says he wants to marry her when he grows up. he loves playing with her. he looks out for her. it is very sweet. he has to be right up under her at all times. I can't tell if he doesn't want her competing with him for our attention, or if he doesn't want us competing with him for her attention, or a little bit of both.

and finally, our princess. our "big sister". she is five. I have loved her from the moment I saw her at the dfcs office Wednesday. I will never forget her little blonde headed self running by, wearing a back pack as big as she is. I should have taken that as a sign. she definitely has way too much baggage to be so small. if I am being honest, it wasn't until yesterday that I honestly liked her. she was difficult to deal with those first couple of days. it is pretty apparent that she is very scarred. she is also, biologically, an only child. so having two brothers has been a huge adjustment. but over all they all 3 really like each other and get along really well. also, she has hair! she is white so the texture is the same as mine but it is very thick. and every day, I have to brush and fix it. I thought this would be fun. some times it is. but mostly, not so much. over all she is a very sweet little girl. she is just having to adjust to life in this family of 5, just like the rest of us.

my life at 26 is not what anyone else would have ever imagined for me. but it is a little bit of everything I have ever wanted. I said as a child, that I wanted to "be Miss Gretchen" then as a teenager, I wanted to "be Jamie and Shannon". I wanted to do hair for as long as I can remember. and when I was around 18, I decided I wanted to be a foster mom. I never would have dreamed I could have all of these things at once. and a wonderful husband by my side who is my best friend. I am so fortunate. one of my favorite characters of all time says it best:

“Sometimes my heart aches at how good my life turned out, in a good way. It doesn’t mean there haven’t been hardships; there have been. But I’m here. And here is good.”
-Brooke Davis, One Tree Hill

I love my life and everyone and everything that is in it. I am truly so thankful for all that I have. here's to my 27th year being as good as my 26th.

Comments