an open letter to my first love...

dear t-shirts,
I just felt like it was time to acknowledge my true feeling about you. I mean, I have loved you for as long as I can remember. the older I get, the more I meet people that do not feel the same way about you. nothing gets my heart racing quite like the words "free t-shirt". but since working at the church, the attitudes of the congregation have left me so jaded. more often than not, I offer someone a free t-shirt and they turn you away. some even go as far as to say that they are "just not t-shirt people."
I know that you generally are not flattering. and rarely does a t-shirt say "I am a mature and professional adult."

(except this one)
but very few in this life have ever consistently provide me as much comfort. I love your soft and gentleness.  the way you can put my feelings out there for other people to understand without me saying a word.
I am a logical person, who doesn't like to spend money. unless it is on you. then it all goes out the window. $20 t-shirt for your fundraiser? sure! run 13 miles and get a t-shirt? sign me up! twice! you went on a trip without me? hope you got me a t-shirt. on a road trip? must buy an over priced souvenir shirt. at. every. stop.
our relationship has been all consuming almost since the beginning. there have been times, I have to say where it has affected my marriage. my husband gets tired of you contantly being in ever corner of my closet and dressers.

I tell him that I will get rid of you. but the truth is that I have trash bags and plastic containers bursting at the seems in my attic. I just can't. each one another reminder of the times we shared together. my church puppet team competition t-shirt from '99 reminds me of the gold medals we won. I wore my '05 Columbus High LaCrosse t-shirt to every game as I rode the bench. and how could I remember the 27 Teen Advisor and Velocity events I was apart of without each t-shirt to remind me. how will people know that I love foster care or missions or cutting hair or my own initials or that I am a #boymom if I don't wear a shirt that tells them?
I have often thought of having a blanket or quilt made. but I really haven't met someone who I would trust with you. who appreciates our unique bond. and I know even if I did and they made a beautiful quilt, not only would it be big enough to cover 3 king size beds, but pieces of you would be gone. it would not be the same.
I have tried to introduce you to my husband. any time I get a new t-shirt, I try to get him one too. but he just doesn't appreciate you. 
I know after all of these years, I should have moved on. I should have out grown you. I should have left you in my youth. but I just can't. I love my husband. he is wonderful. we have a great life together. but how can anything compare to your first love? I am just thankful that throughout it all, you have always been there. whether I wore a Small or an XLarge. and everything in between. you get me.
love always,
Sarah Jane 

Comments