you wanna give up cause it's dark. we're really not that far apart.


two years ago today, we had the pleasure of meeting Lady Antebellum. it was a very cool experience. they are 3 good people who really have a lot of talent and awesome chemistry. there were lots of memorable things about this day. my brother, Scotty played the cajon for them on stage and my mom got hit in the head by the parking gate. but this blog is not about all of that. it is about the 4 people I experienced this day with.

you read a lot about my family of five. but before these 4 guys came into my life, I grew up in a family of 5. this day was one of the last things that we have done just the 5 of us. I was married at the time, but Aaron had to work. he was missed. but being together, just the 5 of us was nice.

after this day, "compass" by Lady A quickly became one of my favorite songs. give it a listen, if you haven't heard it.
it is one of those you have to sing along to once you know it. but I love the meaning of the song. "no matter what you'll never be alone!" though there is distance,  or difference, we aren't as far apart as it may seem.

in case you don't know my parents and siblings, let me just establish something for you right here and now. we love eachother very fiercely. there is a loyalty between all of us that I am quite proud of. but every one of us knows exactly which button to push for eachother if we every feel the need to. especially us "kids". but don't let them fool you. we learned from two of the best button pushers ;) but at the end of the day, I know that we are not the only family that is that way. and we have so much love for eachother.

so to mark the two year anniversary of this great day, I am going to tell you what it is about each of them that I find endearing.

let's start with my dad. Shannon Gaither. I spent the better part of my life convinced his sole purpose was to make me miserable. but the older I have gotten, the more I know that that couldn't be further from the truth. I am so thankful that my dad is hardworking. I am 26 and this is the first time in my life that my dad has only been employed at one place. he always did everything he could to provide for every material need and want possible.  I am also thankful that he passed on to me the love of water. I don't swim laps and though I am sure this disappoints him at times, I got my love for being around any body of water from him. I also love his competitive spirit. unless he is bragging about beating me. and I am thankful for his commitment to our family.

next, my mom. Barbara Gaither. I spent many years taking her for granted too. I still do occasionally. but she is always there. I am so thankful that I can call her no matter what. and I usually do. at least 3 times a day. my mother is one of the friendliest people you will ever meet. she never forgets people. and she is insanely loyal. I hope that I have gotten some of that from her. I am also thankful for how thoughtful she is. and she is the best gift giver ever. like for real. most of all, I am thankful for her ability to speak truth into my life. whether, I need to be encouraged and lifted up or gently put in my place. I am thankful for her love and support.

then there is my little sister. Carly Gaither. where to begin. I have been a nurturer for as long as I can remember. you were the first human to be lucky enough to be on the receiving end of my nurturing. you have had to put up with a lot from me over the years. probably more smothering than nurturing. but I had to learn somewhere right? I love your free spirit. I am so thankful for you ability to know what you want and to not be afraid to be different. I am also thankful to be able to sing along to NSYNC Christmas with you. and for all of the other memories we have together. to many more! I am so glad you have such a better voice than me. I am thankful that you always keep us on our toes and constantly serve as our background music, whether it is with a wistle or a hum or actual singing, everywhere we go.

and last, but certainly not least, my baby brother. I knew from day one that he would be different. but I would have never guessed just how different. I am so thankful for that. the way you constantly challenge me and grow me. I am thankful that you truly see the world unlike anyone else. whether it is sponge bob, or dogs, or world war II weapons,  if you are interested in it, you are going to find everything there is to know about it. I am thankful for your intense commitment to logic. I also love your sense of humor. most of all I love that you always have been and always will be our baby boy.

I love the 4 others I share a home with now, but for all of these reasons, I am so excited about getting to spend more time with these 4 over the upcoming holidays.

Comments