the 5 of us. who we are. who we are not.

do you ever think it would be fun to pretend to be someone else? I have seen it in movies. people crash weddings and claim to be distant relatives with exotic stories. I have never done this before. but I got a little bit of that feeling for the first time a month ago.
the 5 of us can't go anywhere without getting the look. the "what the heck is going on there?" look. you know. the look you get when you have three different kids that are 3 different colors but are all about the same size and age. I know it is only natural but it can feel like a burden sometimes.
Aaron and I went for pedicures while the kids were at school the day before we left for the beach. the nail tec asked if we have kids to which we said yes, 3 and 4 year old boys and a 5 year old girl. the other nail tec said "wow! they are close together!" Aaron and I smirked at each other and he just said "yep. it worked out that way." I felt like we were being sneaky but it felt so nice and fun. she didn't know they weren't "REALLY" ours.
a similar thing happened when I drove thru the pharmacy the other day. I had no kids in the car but the girl at the window saw my car seats and said "I am guessing by the one pink one and two black that you have two boys and a girl!" "yep!" I replied "aw! how old" "3,4 and 5" "aw! I bet they keep you busy!"
it is such a funny feeling. but is is one of the best feelings. no misconceptions or judgement. I just get treated like a "normal" "real" mother of three children.
they are my children. this leads me to the main reason I wanted to blog. I didn't want to lead with this and I didn't want to sound harsh but there is something I need to say. almost all of my loved ones are guilty of what I am about to complain about but I have to throw this out there.
they are first and foremost children. they also happen to be children in the foster system. who are being fostered by us. I know this would make it seem like that makes them "foster children". but you see. the fact that they are in the foster system shouldn't define them. you don't need to introduce them as "Sarah Jane and Aaron's foster children". if people begin to give you the look like you owe them an explanation, (which you don't,  by the way!) you can say, they are fostering them. but please don't make "the f word" part of their title. they are simply children. and for the time being, they are ours. I don't say any of this because I want to intentionally mislead anyone. but simply because I want them to lead a "normal" life like "real" children.
we are getting the two older kids registered for school which I am sure will lead to plenty of looks. but we are very excited for what the future holds for our 3 children :)

Comments