a big sister and a baby boy

"congratulations!"
"oh that must be so hard?!"
"how do you keep doing it?"
"I couldn't say goodbye."
"was it drugs?"
"will she get them back?"
"how long can you keep them?"

the longer I do this the harder the questions get to answer. I know people don't have any idea what they are saying. but it is so much more complex and overwhelming than these simple phrases can even understand. 

several weeks ago we got the call. there was a newborn baby boy that needed a home immediately. his sister is 2 and already in "the system" and would transition into that same home within two weeks. we said yes.
(a lot transpired before this to make it an easy yes. I have two blog drafts trying to share what details are appropriate but at this point those will have to wait)



I immediately got off of the call and headed to the nearest McDonald's to meet the caseworker with baby boy. 

later that evening he met the family. as Von held him he immediately said "he's perfect"
we all adore him. he is sweet and snuggly and over all an "easy baby"

his big sister had already spent some time in our home before baby brother was born. I am thankful she had some time to get to know us before her world got turned upside down again. as with many children and foster care, she has had to experience way too much transition in her little life. adjusting to a new sibling is enough of a challenge. but add in a new home, going to daycare, new parents, and 5 more siblings - can you imagine?! oh. and she also joined the crew as she was getting over a cold and teething 🤦🏻‍♀️😞
she is full of love and joy. but not as much trust and patience. we all do our best to make her feel safe. but that is something that will take time and consistency. 

I am not going to lie. adding these two to our home has stretched us all. it is definitely not easy. but it doesn't even compare to how hard our sweet girl's life has been up to this point. and they are both so worth it. 
I love watching our kids in the midst of transitions like these. watching them rally and use their giftings to show love to these children is astounding. they are strangers. but they are also tethered by the similarities in their stories. they get the chance to be what they themselves needed. there is immense beauty and healing in that.

we all have our moments where we aren't our best selves from the stress of these changes. but overall things have gone as well as you could expect. we are forever thankful for our village and the support they give. 

people continuously ask what we need or what they can do.  for now we would appreciate prayer:
that baby boy would continue to grow and stay healthy.
that big sister will feel safe and develop healthy attachments to us and those around her. this can be hard for little ones that have experienced so much change. 
also please pray for their Mom and the caseworkers and the judge and the attorneys. 
as always we pray for a swift and fair process. but especially after all we have been through, as well as what has happened in the lives to these babies up to this point. 

this situation came about very differently than others we have experienced. but there still is so much uncertainty. truthfully I never wanted to work with DFCS again. but when the Lord moves mountains, to make a path, who am I to walk the other way. it is definitely still as heavy and scary as it has always been. but these precious lives are still so worthy of it all.

Comments