rights and what is right

so this is going to be one of those times where I ask you to read this blog in its entirety before passing any judgement. I have had these thoughts forming for a couple of weeks. Martin Luther King Jr. Day always leaves me unsettled. he was a wonderful man who did great things. but the day itself annoys me, quite honestly. it falls usually within a week or two of school starting back from Christmas break. right after my children have started to return to their normal routine we are left with a day of no structure. and then I also just don't really "get it". I think he was important. and I certainly agree with what he stood for. but I think we are missing something. like the forest for the tree type of thing...
I know I am not making sense. that is why I didn't write this blog two weeks ago. bare with me. then there was the inauguration and the women's march. and I still don't "get it"? I know and respect people who were at the inauguration. I don't know anyone who protested that day, but I respect that too. I know people who marched in their own cities or traveled to march. and I am glad that people who wanted to do that, could. and I hope it had the outcome they wanted. but I just don't get it.
so I went to www.womensmarch.com. here is their mission:

"The rhetoric of the past election cycle has insulted, demonized, and threatened many of us - immigrants of all statuses, Muslims and those of diverse religious faiths, people who identify as LGBTQIA, Native people, Black and Brown people, people with disabilities, survivors of sexual assault - and our communities are hurting and scared. We are confronted with the question of how to move forward in the face of national and international concern and fear."

I understand this statement. and I am in no way against people marching together. I am not a "Trump Supporter". and I know I sound naive. but he doesn't control me. I do believe his impact on me and my family and loved ones will be minimal. I have lived in this country for almost 28 years and no president has threatened my rights. I do not fall in to any of those categories listed above. I am a heterosexual white woman who is able bodied and Christian and was born in this country. not a lot is at stake for me here. I care about people that fall in to these other categories. I really do. and if you are reading this, this is what I want you to hear:
I serve a God that is bigger than all of this. He loves everyone that is scared right now. He even loves Trump (but don't hold that against Him). If you marched this past week or ever rallied for your rights, I hope it brought you peace and courage. but that isn't going to last. you will go back to your normal life. you won't be surrounded by the sea of people anymore and you will still find yourself scared. if you are looking for hope and security in our government or in this world, you won't ever find it. 

CHURCH! THIS PART IS FOR YOU!
if you marched or rallied, I am glad you did. and I hope you brought encouragement to those around you. but you aren't done. Trump is not the problem. marching isn't the solution. and Hillary winning the election wouldn't have solved the problem either. we have to be actively pursuing these people. our country is full of people who are living in fear. what have you done to show them safety? people feel isolated. how are you going to show them love? 
people need to be marching to their local dfcs offices with diapers. they need to be in our womens clinics offering support. they need to be in our schools reading books and mentoring. and I don't mean the one in your neighborhood. I don't know about where you live but segregation is still happening in Columbus, Ga. you know what I mean. drive to the other part of town. get involved in a shelter. people are searching for answers, security, and love! we have to be there. so that when they are searching, they will see us. and in us, they will find Christ and HIS LOVE! 

27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. -James 1:27

this verse is the basis for why I do what I do with children in foster care. I believe if James wrote this today, it would sound something like this:

27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after immigrants of all statuses, Muslims and those of diverse religious faiths, people who identify as LGBTQIA, Native people, Black and Brown people, people with disabilities, survivors of sexual assault, orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. -James 1:27

I had written everything up to this point a week ago. then I sat on it some more. and then everything that happened this week. these are terrible times. but CHURCH, this is our time. the thing about the verse above, is it doesn't say "follow my laws. give a tenth of your paycheck every month. go to church every Sunday."

it says that what is pure is caring for those in distress and to distance yourself from the pollution of this world. how do you do that?

I have a client (I am a hair stylist) who adopted her daughter from central america. as an adult this daughter has chosen to be a nun in central america, after being raised here. do you know what nuns do where she lives? there is no black and white outfit or vow of silence. she wears a hazmat suit every day. and she goes in the sewers. you see, that is where the orphans live. and her job is to vaccinate them. they raise each other. the 12 year olds are caring for the 2 year olds that have been dumped there. and how does the church respond? by going into the filth and providing for the most basic needs of these children.

so how do you care for those in distress without being polluted by them? put on a hazmat suit. but seriously. I know these times are scary. and it is easy to blame administration or red tape or fear for your own safety. you can make excuses all day long. but that won't get any of us anywhere. it's time we stop making excuses and start showing love.

“Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.”

Comments