don't read this post!
so it's been a while. sorry about that. the boys had a great Christmas. lots of fun with family and friends. they mostly got stuff for outside. balls and bikes and a "playground" as biggie calls it. it's just a small swing set that sweet friends handed down to us. but he loves it.
we rang in the new year in pine mountain. we camped in yurts. if you don't know what they are, look it up :) the boys enjoyed sitting be the fire and cooking their own hot dogs. this was also about the time that the theme for my next blog was inspired.
discipline. or a lack there of.
I got to experience a first in motherhood. I was cursed at. so naturally, the one who cursed got soap in his mouth. he didn't like it. then brother decided to see what this was about so he did the same a couple days later. he didn't like it either. you would think after once they would get it. but not so much. I guess maybe they just wanted to check that the taste of the soap hadn't changed. I will have to say that it has been nice to have a way to respond with a punishment that fits the crime.
not sure if I have mentioned it before, but we are not allowed to spank them. it is a general rule of foster care. mostly because they don't want people getting carried away and they think that there are better ways to discipline. when I sat in my training and heard this, I agreed.
then October 18th came. and a 2 and a 3 year old showed up on my door step. this was their 6th move this year. they had stayed with some people who were great to them but also some who were not so great. either way, there has been minimal structure throughout all of that. just two boys frantically fighting for boundaries and security.
now I know that all of you that have kids want to give me advice on how to make time out work and such. but just let me know when it would be convenient for me to drop off smalls and you can try putting him in time out. good luck.
unfortunately the more you make it clear that you don't want them to do something, the more they want to do it. and when they do, I am left with nothing but bribing and taking away privileges. which works very well for one, but not at all for the other.
needless to say, many nights, we are very ready for bed time. things have definitely been more challenging. but that definitely makes them more rewarding as well. the four of us sat on the couch the other morning for 30 minutes just tickling and snuggling. times like this are so sweet. they are so precious. in spite of everything there is nothing else I would rather be doing with my time.
we are now planning biggies birthday party. I think that I am more excited than he is. I can hardly wait :)
we rang in the new year in pine mountain. we camped in yurts. if you don't know what they are, look it up :) the boys enjoyed sitting be the fire and cooking their own hot dogs. this was also about the time that the theme for my next blog was inspired.
discipline. or a lack there of.
I got to experience a first in motherhood. I was cursed at. so naturally, the one who cursed got soap in his mouth. he didn't like it. then brother decided to see what this was about so he did the same a couple days later. he didn't like it either. you would think after once they would get it. but not so much. I guess maybe they just wanted to check that the taste of the soap hadn't changed. I will have to say that it has been nice to have a way to respond with a punishment that fits the crime.
not sure if I have mentioned it before, but we are not allowed to spank them. it is a general rule of foster care. mostly because they don't want people getting carried away and they think that there are better ways to discipline. when I sat in my training and heard this, I agreed.
then October 18th came. and a 2 and a 3 year old showed up on my door step. this was their 6th move this year. they had stayed with some people who were great to them but also some who were not so great. either way, there has been minimal structure throughout all of that. just two boys frantically fighting for boundaries and security.
now I know that all of you that have kids want to give me advice on how to make time out work and such. but just let me know when it would be convenient for me to drop off smalls and you can try putting him in time out. good luck.
unfortunately the more you make it clear that you don't want them to do something, the more they want to do it. and when they do, I am left with nothing but bribing and taking away privileges. which works very well for one, but not at all for the other.
needless to say, many nights, we are very ready for bed time. things have definitely been more challenging. but that definitely makes them more rewarding as well. the four of us sat on the couch the other morning for 30 minutes just tickling and snuggling. times like this are so sweet. they are so precious. in spite of everything there is nothing else I would rather be doing with my time.
we are now planning biggies birthday party. I think that I am more excited than he is. I can hardly wait :)
Comments
Post a Comment