love.

love.


in case you missed it, we added this 4lb love to our chaos this week. I am up for his feeding and decided to share my early morning ponderings with you all.

Aaron and I are in love with this little babe. how could we not be? this is by far, the littlest one we have ever cared for. so innocent and precious and fragile. it's no wonder that we have fallen so hard and so quickly.

we don't know much about where he comes from. and of course what we do know ain't pretty. but of course in this world we call foster care it never is.

today I had my first interaction with his mother. I was asked to arrange a "virtual visit" because of COVID. I text her explaining who I was and asked how she would like to proceed. she responded. it was just one word. but suddenly I was thrusted into this place I have not been to in over a year. I have never met her. but my love for her overwhelms me. I have held her child and I hold her in my heart. I have no choice. and I don't believe I should want it any differently. this little life that is sleeping on my chest as I type is so precious and so easy to love. that part of my calling is easy. the nurses and other people I encountered at the hospital and pediatrician's office all responded with the typical sentiments-
"it's beautiful what you do"
"how do you do it? isn't it hard when they leave?!"

absolutely. but it's hard when they stay. it's hard that they are here. we aren't just called to foster. we are called to foster love. love for the children, and the workers and every facet of this broken system in this broken world. and the families of these children.

we got the call about our babe on Wednesday. we have gotten enough of these calls to know that things rarely play out as promised so we had no idea what to expect. I got another call on Friday and hopped in the car and flew to the hospital to meet him. one of my favorite worship songs came on the radio and I sang it at the top of my lungs-

the weapon may be formed but it won't prosper.
when the darkness falls it won't prevail.
cause the God I know knows only how to triumph.
my God will never fail.
I'm gonna see a victory. for the battle belongs to the Lord!
I'm not backing down from any giant.
I know how this story ends.
You take what the enemy meant for evil and you turn it for good!
I'm gonna see a victory, for the battle belongs to you Lord!

(full song here)

this is foster care. it's ugly and broken and heart breaking. but I prayed a long time ago that the Lord would break my heart for what breaks His. I amtam so far fromnfrom perfect. but there is no greater purpose in this life to me.

I wanna see a victory. that's why we say "yes"
a victory in his life and his family's.
these victories are slow and hard and sometimes there is darkness before there is light. "but I know how the story ends"


we are doing well. Isaiah and our sassy girl could both sit and hold him for hours. Von likes the baby but gets distracted easily, as always. the little boys are knocked out of the saddle and don't quite know what hit them. but they are 3 and 2 after all.
I return to work Friday and will continue working 3 days a week. we have a sweet friend who will take care of him on those days for a while and we are so thankful.

we have already received 5 meals this week and at least 5 more are on the way. we've been given bassinets and swings and a changing table and clothes and blankets and diapers and wipes and bottles and baby shampoo and detergent and anything else this little guy could possibly need. we have a wonderful village and we are so thankful.

and as always we are thankful for love. to receive love, to give love, and to foster love.


Comments

Post a Comment