a boy mom's thoughts on Kavanaugh and Kaepernick

in case you didn't know. I am the adoptive mother of two amazing boys who are Hispanic, African American, Caucasian AND Native American (per their ancestry dna analysis). and lately I have had a lot of feelings about everything going on in our country. more than I can even put into words. but this most recent bit of news really sent my head spinning so here goes...

Nike. a couple months we would hear the word and think "just do it". now the brand has taken on a totally different identity. in our home, Nike has a different meaning. you see, I don't buy Nike much. I am not opposed. but you can't find it on a clearance rack at Target so 🤷 if my boys have something with the ever so sought after check mark on it, it was probably acquired one of two ways: as a gift or a hand me down. we are fortunate to have lots of people that love them and buy them clothes for Holidays or Birthdays. and we have other loved ones who buy things for their own children and pass them down to us when they are done with them. when I see my boys in their Nike gear I am reminded of our wonderful tribe. our people. we've got some good ones!
Nike has released an add campaign starring Kaepernick. you would think it was Osama Bin Laden based on the reactions of some. I understand that some are offended that he kneels during the National Anthem. but I'm offended that I have already had to start teaching my boys that you shouldn't wear a hood and have your hands in your pockets at the same time. and that if the police are ever in your presence, you make eye contact and keep your hands visible. now I believe that all children should be taught to respect authority and police. but I don't think I should have to fear them losing their life for no good reason other than being a rude kid with the wrong skin color. I'm not anti police. and I don't completely blame them for our situation. you see, while our soldiers are off defending our freedom, we are home fighting wars against each other. if I were away from my family serving this country, that would disgust me far more than any football player on a shoe ad.

rape. what an awful and disgusting thing. I can't imagine how hard it is for a victim to report such abuse. all of the fear and shame. and so often there is minimal proof. it's heartbreaking. 
I'm not interested in debating who is lying is the Kavanaugh situation. at the end of the day, those two people are the only ones that know the truth. 
I do believe victims need to be impowered and encouraged to shed light on their situation. I think every victim deserves justice and that accusations should result in investigations. 
I have read different articles about "victims" who have falsely accused people, typically young men, of unspeakable acts. only admitting to the lies after years of imprisonment. who is the victim here? how do we know which situation we are dealing with?

so what do I do with this? I have heard and seen lots of people saying, "what do I say to my daughter about this?" but what do I say to my sons? being a mom to boys who have experienced trauma is hard! being a mom to boys of a different ethnicity from yourself is hard! being a mom is hard.

I want to raise boys that are respectful. I want them to make eye contact and speak when spoken to. I want them to submit to authority. I want them to obey the law.
I also hope that they will be compassionate. I want them to offer any excess they have to those without. I want them give food to someone who is hungry. I want then to pass down their Nike sweatshirt once they no longer need it. I want them to stand up for anyone who can't take a stand for themselves. never taking advantage of those who society views as "less than".
I do my best to show them that EVERYONE deserves your respect. man, woman, black, white, brown, red, yellow, abled, disabled, wealthy and poor and everything in between. 
I intend to teach them that at the end of the day, you must lead a life style of integrity. make decisions that you know are just and right. live your life to glorify the Lord. follow His direction and view each human He created through His eyes.
I hope they never wind up in a situation where they are falsely accused and it is their word against someone else's. but if they do, I can only hope that I have done my part to raise up good men who's reputation will withstand such accusations. 

we live in a world, and specifically a nation, that overall lacks respect for life. people don't value their own life far too often. then there are those that do, that don't value others. we have got to stop acting as if those that don't look like us or act like us or pray like us don't matter. we have got to start listening to each other. and I don't mean that you read all the way through your coworker's Facebook rant rather than stopping at the point when you disagree with them. I mean sitting down and breaking bread and doing life with someone who is different from you and treating them as a human being with all the same rights as you. because that is what they are. 

I don't believe that the Lord is going to ask you when you come face to face with him if you wore Nike or whether or not you posted your political stance on Facebook. I think He will simply ask "did you love My people?"

so boys, if you are reading this, I hope you know how much I love you and how much God loves you. and with that, I hope above all else, that you LOVE ALL OF GOD'S PEOPLE!

Kavanh

Comments