biggie is 4... and we are exhausted!
so I'm sorry I haven't blogged sooner. it has been an exhausting couple of weeks. biggie turned 4 on a Tuesday. he went to daycare and we had hoped to pick him up early to bring him home to see and ride his new bike. Aaron and I had both just gotten off of work when the daycare called to say the birthday boy had a fever :( we went to the doctor that afternoon to find out he had the flu! he spent Wednesday at home with me. he felt fine after 12 hours of the medicine being in his system so he got to ride his bike some. and then we went to Walmart. this was the first time I had taken either of the boys to the store. he did well. we picked up supplies for his party and some other odds and ends.
then he spent a couple of hours whith my sister. I had a very important meeting that we have been anticipating for months now. we met the boys' mother. our meeting was at dfcs with our case worker as well as our friends who are fostering the boys' baby brother. I was so nervous. I was mostly scared she wouldn't show up. but she did. and it went pretty well. we spent somewhere between 30 minutes and an hour talking about our boys and how they were doing. she was asking when she could see them to give biggie his birthday present. we agreed to meet that Sunday.
the birthday party was Saturday. it was a blast. I had a hard time keeping count but there were at least 50 people there. biggie is one loved little boy. he got so many presents too! we really enjoyed the party and are so thankful to all who came.
after the party we were left to anxiously wait for Sunday lunch to get here. we didn't tell the boys we were going to meet her. I didn't want to risk disappointing them if something fell through. they had not seen her since mid October. we got there early and each minute felt like an hour waiting for it to be time for her to be there. we finally saw her through the window. I pointed her out to the boys, expecting them to go running. instead they just stared. very confused. they weren't unhappy to see her. they gave her hugs and told her they loved her. but it definitely didn't seem natural. but then again, I guess there isn't anything natural about not seeing your mother for 3 months when you are 2 and 4. it was a hard visit for all of us. there is nothing normal or natural about this situation. we watched her interact with them and it made it feel so much more obvious that they aren't completely ours. she would tear up when they interacted with us. I'm guessing she was realizing the same thing.
the boys were supposed to see her again Wednesday at a supervised visit but she was unable to come due to car trouble. we are not sure when they will see her again at this point.
we spent the day today at my cousin's 6th birthday party and they loved that. they really love their new family as if they have always been here. everyone keeps asking me how they have adjusted. it is such a weird question to me. of course they have? it has been relatively natural and I am thankful for that. when I think of their past, it infuriates and saddens me. these two precious little boys have seen entirely too much. and I can't understand why. but I know all of it is what got them here. and I have no doubt that this is exactly where they are meant to be. we are so thankful that we get to love them for as long as we can.
then he spent a couple of hours whith my sister. I had a very important meeting that we have been anticipating for months now. we met the boys' mother. our meeting was at dfcs with our case worker as well as our friends who are fostering the boys' baby brother. I was so nervous. I was mostly scared she wouldn't show up. but she did. and it went pretty well. we spent somewhere between 30 minutes and an hour talking about our boys and how they were doing. she was asking when she could see them to give biggie his birthday present. we agreed to meet that Sunday.
the birthday party was Saturday. it was a blast. I had a hard time keeping count but there were at least 50 people there. biggie is one loved little boy. he got so many presents too! we really enjoyed the party and are so thankful to all who came.
after the party we were left to anxiously wait for Sunday lunch to get here. we didn't tell the boys we were going to meet her. I didn't want to risk disappointing them if something fell through. they had not seen her since mid October. we got there early and each minute felt like an hour waiting for it to be time for her to be there. we finally saw her through the window. I pointed her out to the boys, expecting them to go running. instead they just stared. very confused. they weren't unhappy to see her. they gave her hugs and told her they loved her. but it definitely didn't seem natural. but then again, I guess there isn't anything natural about not seeing your mother for 3 months when you are 2 and 4. it was a hard visit for all of us. there is nothing normal or natural about this situation. we watched her interact with them and it made it feel so much more obvious that they aren't completely ours. she would tear up when they interacted with us. I'm guessing she was realizing the same thing.
the boys were supposed to see her again Wednesday at a supervised visit but she was unable to come due to car trouble. we are not sure when they will see her again at this point.
we spent the day today at my cousin's 6th birthday party and they loved that. they really love their new family as if they have always been here. everyone keeps asking me how they have adjusted. it is such a weird question to me. of course they have? it has been relatively natural and I am thankful for that. when I think of their past, it infuriates and saddens me. these two precious little boys have seen entirely too much. and I can't understand why. but I know all of it is what got them here. and I have no doubt that this is exactly where they are meant to be. we are so thankful that we get to love them for as long as we can.
Comments
Post a Comment